You better look at Fred's beacon. The billboard animation is quite
simple:

  <animation>
      <type>billboard</type>
      <object-name>...
      <spherical>false</spherical>    ... defaults to true
  </animation>

lights use sperical
trees don't use it

I tried that by myself, I used the spherical option but I have some problem with the emitting polygon spinning around the boat though. The emitting polygons seem to spin around the center of the entire 3dmodel instead of staying in place (they have some offset from the center of the model, they're placed in front of the boat).

Is there any way to let them stay where they are? Should I make them separate .ac files and load them in the .xml with some kind of offset transformation? Is that the only way?

  Roberto