Hello everbody!

I have a question concerning FlightGear's hard disk access behaviour in different environments/versions. I'm using an AMD Athlon XP with 1024 MB RAM, Radeon 9500 graphics adapter (128 MB memory) running Windows XP. I have installed FlightGear both as the latest CVS version compiled under cygwin and the latest native win32 binary installation package (0.10-pre3). When I compare the smoothness of my flying experience between these two installations, I notice that while the cygwin version's graphics performance alone seems to be lower (around 1/3 less fps compared to the "true" win32 version when there's no scenery loading in the background), it makes -MUCH- less hard disk accesses, so that the great reduction of HD read bucking (again compared to the win32 binary) more than compensates the slower rendering. The win32 binarys always seems to rip my harddisk apart, I can't fly a somewhat faster aircraft without having to wait for up to several seconds every 50 kilometers or so, all the time accompanied by HD access noise from my computer case. Can anyone tell me the reason for this?

Best regards from Germany,

Seb