Heh - this comes one up every now and then and I keep telling
myself I'll figure out the code enough to make it optional.

I once asked for this feature and one of the developers told
how...

comment out lines 98 & 99 on panel.cxx so it looks like

// Global functions.

bool
fgPanelVisible ()
{
     if(globals->get_current_panel() == 0)
        return false;
     if(globals->get_current_panel()->getVisibility() == 0)
        return false;
//     if(globals->get_viewmgr()->get_current() != 0)
//      return false;
     if(globals->get_current_view()->getHeadingOffset_deg() *
SGD_DEGREES_TO_RADIANS != 0)
        return false;
     return true;
}

Watch out for the line-wrap.

This will make the 2d panels visible in every view while the
pitch and direction are unchanged.  The panel disappears if  you
pan the view.

LeeE