* David Luff -- Sunday 16 April 2006 00:33:
> What are you doing to crash it?

Nothing special. Just started fgfs with the ufo, switched to a different
desktop to use the startup time for something useful, and when switching
back I found fgfs crashed in tower.cxx.

> So far I haven't been able to crash it at all in a reasonably long
> flight with AI set to 3 and interacting with ATC for the approach
> and landing.  This is with your emergency fix.

I let it run through *hours* to reproduce the last crash. I had to
let someone else try the "fix" who saw this bug at every other run.
It's not easy to reproduce for me. But still, it crashes regularly.

I don't think tower.cxx can really be fixed. I'm always pissed if
someone calls my code messy, although some of it certainly is. But
frankly, tower.cxx *is* messy. It basically needs a rewrite
(reusing most parts of it, probably). A rewrite without all the
iterator stuff spread in the whole file, without whole function
bodies in one "if", without hundreds of commented out debug code
lines, without jewels like this

    } else {
        SG_LOG(SG_ATC, SG_WARN, "WARNING: Unable to find plane " << ID << " in
FGTower::ReportRunwayVacated(...)");
        SG_LOG(SG_ATC, SG_ALERT, "A WARNING: Unable to find plane " << ID << "
in FGTower::ReportRunwayVacated(...)");
        //cout << "WARNING: Unable to find plane " << ID << " in
FGTower::ReportRunwayVacated(...)\n";
    }

but rather code that is simple, clean, and works. Code that puts
all the fine-grained (and now buggy) list handling into classes,
and doesn't need to remove an aircraft instance from seven lists,
because it wasn't bright enough to rememeber where it put an aircraft
last time. Safety nets like these are a guarantee for code to
decay.

Sorry for the rant  :-)
m.