Jim A wrote:

>All very good, and a great technical challenge.  But, maybe a branch called
>"FloatGear" would be in order?   ;-)

I love it! Thanks - that made me smile first thing in the morning.

>....then there are land vehicles  -- for transportation, sport, and
>defense...."DriveGear"?

Or "TopGear" (or "IntoGear") :-)

>It would be cool to have the Nimitz (and others) respond to sea state, and the
>visual eye candy of the water to look appropriate to the sea state condition.
>
>These thoughts all seem daunting, but seeing what this community has
>accomplished thus far, it could very well happen.

Indeed - however my suggestion would be that should the world-system of
FG get used for things other than flight simulation, that it doesn't get
branched. Branching just makes maintainance more difficult and breeds
flamewars.

It is probably best that people wanting to use FlightGear as a "world
engine" for other things (like ship sims) just get on with it using the
code "as is", but keep talking on this list so that mainline code
developers can try and avoid doing things that deliberately break those
side-projects.

Should something like a ship-sim become popular (and people have asked
about ship sims on here before) then maybe its code might enter FG's CVS
repository, just like a new flight-sim engine might. (There are at least
three flight-sim engines in there already.)

It might even happen that FlightGear code becomes three or more
conceptual lumps, rather than the two is is now (SimGear & FlightGear).
SimGear is already starting to look like a great load of astronomy stuff
could be broken out into - er - "EphemGear"? :-)

I shall keep an interested eye on whatever improvements are suggested
(and made) to the oceans in FG. The development people will probably
already want to allow for things like aircraft carriers to behave more
naturally - if they keep that in mind, hooking in a sailing ship later
should be straightforward.

Steve.