The P51D model has this.  There is a dimmer switch on the console panel just
right of center.  In order to set up general lighting in the cockpit you simply
need to group the objects that need to be lit together and apply a low level of
"emissive" output via material animation".

This technique won't be precisely correct because it totally lacks shading,
but the effect is reasonably accurate due to the low light level, and of course
it makes it possible to see the inside of a cockpit at night.

Best,

Jim

Jim Wilson
Kelco Industries