Hi all,

following the tradition of reporting on the progress of the respective
pilot's license on flightgear-devel, today it's my turn as today I had
my very first flight lesson for the Sport Pilot's License for very light
aircraft (Ultraleicht, i.e. MTOW 472.5kg).

No, that doesn't mean I'm flying trikes. Essentially these planes are
like your everyday light aircraft (Piper PA28, C172, whatever), just a
lot lighter ;-)

And as we were talking about the value of FlightGear, it has proven to
have its very own value for me, even monetary speaking. Thanks to
"training" on physically accurate FlightGear I was able to skip all that
typical first-lesson stuff (flying curves, climb, descend, holding
course and altitude, etc.) and go directly to traffic circuits and
landing practice. Which essentially means that I'll possibly be able to
actually do something sensible with the "expensive" instructor lessons
and train for the really important stuff ;-)

BTW: As FlightGear currently features neither an Ikarus C42 (yes, I
know, the name is not well selected for a plane, but tell that to the
people at Comco) nor an EuroFox - in fact I haven't found any very light
aircraft in the hangar yet - I plan to model at least one of them as
soon as I get a better feeling for them and as soon as I get better
access to our club's planes for taking pictures for modelling. Don't pin
me down on this, I said, I plan doing that. ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf