On Monday 12 June 2006 19:47, dene maxwell wrote:
> Unfortunately the data kept by FAA/CAA or what ever the local
> administration is called is often out-of-date or just plain wrong.
> Experience of the last month has taught me that. Poring over aerial photos
> and current third-party documentation has shown significant discrepencies.
Keep in mind that those FAA/CAA diagrams are being used in real aviation right
now, not the aerial photos or third-party documentation.  While I would not
rule out that that those airport diagrams may contain errors, I am more
certain that the aerial photos and third-party documentation you mentioned
are the ones that are wrong.

> Dumb is a very subjective assessment, agreed it is time-comsuming, but is
> sometimes necessary to get not only positioning correct but also surface
> type.
The positioning would be correct as long as the lat/lon information on the
aerial photo is correct.  If those lat/lon information is incorrect, then all
those time spent on positioning would be wasted.

> I seem to remember a while ago I provided examples of CAA airport
> documentation for conversion into SVG format and it couldn't be done
> because the color scheme used was not what the automated process needed. I
> am not aware of any numerical description available that would solve this.
> It is really great that you have managed to get this working for FAA
> diagrams ... It will be even better when it can be applied globally.
It could be done.  It just that I "hardcoded" the color information into my
script, and was too lazy to alter it just to prove that it would work for CAA
airport diagrams.

> >2) Lat/Long information is in the diagram itself.
>
> Generally the lat/long information in the FAA/CAA diagrams is too coarse
> for some uses. I am currently doing AI flightplans and need to get Lat/long
> for touch-down points, braking points, and taxi-ing points. TaxiDraw
> provides this 6 decimal places. The FAA diagram doesn't.
So what?

Users like you and I generate those 6 decimal places, from aerial photos and
third-party documentations that have incorrect lat/lon information.  Who have
better access to those information?  Us or the authorities?

> IIRC the French
> CAA diagrams don't even have lat/long references apart from the various
> navaid locations.
Yes they do.

Ampere