Curt wrote

> Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > There is one - nearly - as I said orientation/heading-magnetic-deg. But
> it's
> > not derived from an instrument, and therefore has no supply, neither can
> it
> > fail, not does it have any error. Further, use of such a property will
> not
> > stop, AFAIKS, the generation of spurious and unnecessary instruments,
> caused
> > by incorrect initiation, and a hack to get around this. This looks
> > unprofessional.
> >

> As has always been the case, if the current instrumentation is not
> sufficient for your needs, you can always create a new instrument.
>
> /orientation/heading-magnetic-deg closely approximates an advanced
> inertial system you might find on an advanced modern aircraft.
> Reliable, trust worthy, dead on.  You can also get true heading if you
> prefer that.  If you need something that is tied to the electrical
> system, something that has various failure modes, something that models
> sensor error, or if you just don't like
> /orientation/heading-magnetic-deg for any other reason, then you'll need
> to consider modeling a new heading approximation system in nasal, or
> create a new instrument in C++ .  There are some acronyms for these
> sorts of things, AHRS, IMU, INS.  Your jet probably has some sort of
> ring laser based gyro system in real life?  I don't know how deep you
> want to get into modeling this system.  My goal is to stock the kitchen
> so all you cooks can create your culinary masterpieces.  But if you want
> some new vegetable, you might need to plant it yourself.

As I wrote in my original posting - that's already done - I've done a
fluxgate compass suitable for use at least up to the '70s. I'll submit that
for inclusion in CVS shortly. An even more modern instrument is trivial, but
I haven't done one yet.

I also have a patch prepared which prevents xmlauto.cxx from generating
spurious instruments, and which uses whichever Heading Indicator that is
present. That's probably a 'fancy waistcoat', and I'm still pondering if
it's worth submitting.

Vivian