Hi All,

In the tradition of FGers mentioning their RL flying experience, I thought
I'd mention the microlight trial flight I took yesterday.

I'd already had a couple of hours in GA aircraft while on business in the
USA, but here in the UK the very high cost of lessons, hire etc. is a big
barrier for entry, and I haven't pursued flying seriously.

I was at an airshow at my local museum of flight
(http://www.nms.ac.uk/flight/home/index.asp) and got chatting to some
microlighters, so signed up for a trial flight at the local microlight
school (right next to the museum -
http://www.sites.ecosse.net/graeme.ritchie/eosm/home.asp).

They have about 50 microlights at the airstrip, all of the trike kind -
see the picture on the website for an idea of what they are like.

The views over East Lothian were stunning - and matched very closely the
scenery in FG! (Try flying East from Edinburgh Airport EGPH). With almost
no body-work and a high wing, your view is only limited by the rotation of
your head, which was quite a change from the restricted view in a C172.

The controls are reversed in comparison with a normal yoke, but because
you are moving the wing directly using a control-bar, and can see the
effects of your control inputs, it's pretty intuitive. Because you are
moving the wing directly, it requires more force than a yoke, and you feel
turbulence more. While practising turns we encountered our own wake
turbulence, which was quite noticable!

However, it is incredibly stable - from full deflection of the wing, it
returns to straight-and-levelish flight almost immediately, with a couple
fo oscillations. No need for an auto-pilot - you can happily fly it
hands-off

Instrumentation is minimal, as this is a pure VFR aircraft. Altimeter,
ASI, VSI, EGT, Fuel, and compass. We didn't even have a radio for the
flight, though the airfield is manned and has a published frequency.

The aircraft we were using was quite an old model, so we were cruising at
52mph, and getting 900fpm rate of ascent. While it was very pleasant
cruising at this speed, when we dove to 70mph, the wind buffet was quite
chilling. The newest microlights cruise at 90mph and apparently have much
better fairings - a bit like touring motorcycles I guess. The aircraft
takes-off and landing very little space - certainly way less than a c172,
and it seems there are quite a few airstrips in Scotland that only
microlights can use.

In comparison with GA aircraft, everything is way simpler, lighter and
(most importantly) cheaper. MTOW for microlights in the UK is 450kg, but
the aircraft I was in had a MTOW of 406kg. Empty, the aircraft weighed
about 200kg. Brand new aircraft are around £20k, and used aircraft start
from £2k. Owners are allowed to do their own maintenance, the aircraft run
on petrol and use about £10 per hour in fuel.

The NPPL license is minimum 25 hours, as opposed to 40 for a GA aircraft.
I've signed up for some more lessons, so maybe this time next year I'll be
posting that I've got my license!

I'd highly recommend a trial lesson as a way to get into the air for real,
mine was £55 for 30 minutes, which is about the cost of MSFS and some
scenery, which we get for free from FG!

-Stuart

PS: £1 is about $1.8 for those wishing to do a conversion.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html