I've just committed a first stab at the Garmin series 400 "Aviation In"
data format.  I don't think it's quit producing the correct output, but
the code compiles cleanly so it shouldn't hurt anything to add.

In theory, this should allow us to use FlightGear to drive a real Garmin
295/296/430/530 gps unit from our simulator position.

I haven't been able to get the Garmin 295 I have here on loan for
testing to respond at all, so there's a problem somewhere.  I connected
up the FG output to hyperterminal and it's generating what I think is
the right data at the right baud.  I connected up the gps to
hyperterminal and can get data out of that, so the gps serial cable is
good.  FG is outputting data, the gps serial cable is good, but the 295
isn't responding.  That leaves a) the 295 doesn't actually speak this
format (or speaks it's own different version of it) or b) I've made a
stupid mistake in implementing the spec (which I've now read and re-read
about 100x.)

If anyone out there is interested in this sort of thing and has some
means to test the code, I'd certainly be happy for another set of eyes
to take a look at what I've done.  I'm also pursuing the Garmin tech
support route, but it's the weekend now so not much moving there.

Regards,

Curt.

--
Curtis Olson        http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt