Stefan Seifert wrote :
> Heiko Schulz wrote:
>
>> There is something else I want to say about the
>> 3d-model: Too much vertices! The exterior model got
>> about 10.000 vertices, the interior without (!) the
>> cockpit and seats got about 10.000 vertices- I think
>> that's too much, my computer got problems with it.
>>

> That's something I don't understand. 10000 vertices should be nothing
> for a modern graphics card. My GeForce 6600GT is by no means a top-notch
> card (it's even passively cooled) and is specified for about 375 million
> (!!) vertices per second. So it should be able to hande a scene
> consisting of 12.5 million vertices at 30fps.
>
> I know these are marketing numbers and in reality the number is much
> lower. But we are talking about not even a thousandth here. Even the
> cheapest cards you can get aren't that much slower. So how can it be
> that 10000 vertices are such a problem in FlightGear?
>
> Just wondering,

Ask yourself how many vertices there are in the scene drawn by glxgear,
and multiply that number by the framerate you get.
Compare the result to the above numbers.

These numbers are only true if these vertices were drawn with a single
primitive, and all of the same color, with an infinitely powerfull CPU.
Real world scenarii are not so simple

-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier