Hi All,

I've written a patch to the MP code that allows text-based chat within the
simulator.

It provides the following:
1) Improved MP property handling. The MP code no-longer assumes all
properties are floats. Props now turn at the correct RPM, and the MP
message format now supports strings and integers.
2) MP chat. Users can type messages that are displayed to all users within
MP range. The messages are displayed within a dialog box, and optionally
to the screen using the current Nasal message system. This allows the
messages to be TTS'd by festival.

Currently the patch is intentionally simple. There are a couple of obvious
enhancements that could be made once this is committed:

A) Frequency specific transmissions. Currently everyone in the MP range
hears all transmissions. It would be better to restrict users to
transmitting/receiving on their current COM1 frequency. The source code
requirements for this are already present in this patch (the
/sim/multiplay/transmission-freq-hz property is exported), but the Nasal
code is not.

B) Quick-phrases. Typing while flying is not particularly efficient. A
tree of phrases with click-to-say navigation would be easier to use.

The patch is available from
http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/chat.tar.gz

We may want to increment the MP protocol version for this, but I'll leave
that to other's discretion.

As always, comments are welcome.

-Stuart

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html