--- "Sexauer, Steve" wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I should have clarified that I was wondering if how
> hard it would be to do it on one machine --of course the entire program
> is too processor intensive to run twice on one machine. Some simulator
> programs run multiple windows on low end machines, so it's doable in
> some cases.
>
> It's not just a matter of saving the cost of the second machine (and we
> would have a lot of installations), its also a huge convenience and
> requires less support and hassle----especially to exhibit flightgear
> training devices at expos.
>
> I know a bit about opengl and flightgear but not enough(at this point)
> to pop in a multiple window module that provides another camera view
> without recomputing any flight data. At least not by myself--I will take
> it on as a hobby, if I can get a little competent guidance. At some
> point management here might wish to support the effort.  But certainly I
> should know before I take it on---if there is any reason why it might
> not work well---given the current design or other factors. Adding
> another view may--- for all I know ---require an enormous increase in
> complexitiy to achieve the required efficiency. But it seems likely that
> a bad ass computer and video card setup would solve that the efficiency
> issue and that stuff is getting cheaper by the minute.

Hi Steve,

I believe this question has been asked before, and the general consensus
was that because FG is monolithic and single-threaded, creating multiple
displays from a single machine would be very hard. You might want to check
the archives for details. It would probably be easier to develop an
application providing a control center to launch multiple FG machines.

If your requirements are quite simple, for example
- stretching a single view across multiple monitors
- displaying the same view on multiple monitors

you could probably do it "downstream" using your graphics card and some
simple cabling. I believe some people have successfully double-headered
(or something) FG.

I have managed to run multiple instances of FG on a single machine, but it
wasn't pretty! However, you might have better luck with a more modern
machine and hardware. The slave instance doesn't need to run the FDM, and
one could cap the FDM frequency to ensure that the second instance got
some processor time. With a modern OS, you should be able to scedule the
different processor instances as well, which should help.

With serious HW, it might just work. I would certainly investigate that
before trying to change the code.

How many viewpoints are you thinking of?

-Stuart