I don't really care about which form is used for user support.
If passers-by prefer a web-based forum, then this *may* be the
better choice. (But also consider that someone has to do the
support. These are to a certain degree developers, so even here
it's not unimportant what those prefer. Unless we expect users
to help themselves, of course.)

But for development the answer is IMHO very clear. Mailing lists
are absolutely preferable, and forums are a big annoyance.

1. mail clients are made and optimized for message exchange,
   while web browsers are made for mere *display* of information.
   As a consequence, mail clients have decent editors, elaborated
   search functions, tagging, spell-checking, address books,
   address completion, filters and personal message categories
   (rather than cheesy sub-forums). One can easily CC messages
   to people who are not subscribed etc.
   In a web browser you get a small box where you have to write
   with often limited editing capabilities. It's easy to lose
   all one has written, too.

2. web forums often mangle messages: they have to convert all
   html-critical stuff (such as < to "&lt"; etc.), and they often
   replace or even remove(!) tabs. As a consequence, one can't
   take such a forum "message" and pipe it into the "patch" program,
   whereas it's quite normal to save a whole email and pipe it
   into "patch" with no problems whatsoever.

3. one can easily edit and reply to several emails while being
   offline. This is a pain with forums if you don't have DSL/ISDN,
   but an expensive dial-up connection.

4. this may not mean much to some people, but *I* prefer to see
   the sender's email address, the "date" header (with time zone
   information) etc. On forums all you get is a cheesy nick behind
   which people hide (I do :-). Sure, the admin has the mail
   address. But I'm not the admin.

5. it might be easier to explain POP3 scanning of the local
   provider's mail server to one's employer, than it might be to
   explain scanning the same "game" server in the U.S. all day
   long (yes, I'm speaking of www.flightgear.org ;-)

I'm sure if I thought about it longer I would find some more
arguments. Why is it that none of the *many* development projects
that I know uses a forum for development communication? Those
are always only used for users, if at all. We have already had
the same discussion in the past, and the mailing list clearly won.
Please don't bring the same thing up in regular intervals, in the
hope that people eventually give up their resistance. The only
effect would be that developers continued on an inofficial list,
basically ignoring the "official" development forum.  :-P

m.

PS: yes, I created an account on the users forum ...  :-}