"Curtis Olson" wrote:

> Yes, NetFDM is what you say, but we've made sure all our data aligns on 4
> byte boundaries, we only use 4 or 8 byte data structures, and we send
> everything in network byte order.  With these rules, you would be hard
> pressed to find a system that is incompatible.  (This actually was prompted
> by some developers at mathworks who have a lot of customers that want to use
> FlightGear to visualize their simulink flight dynamics models.)

....  errrm, and, at least some of them don't even dare to think of
using current versions of FlightGear. I was told they're afraid of
running into the hassle of reworking half of their interface with every
new version of FlightGear, because the interface actually is not what
people would call a stable protocol.

Actually this matches with the result of an experiement that I did
earlier. I picked a few network packets with the network analyzer and
fed some of them into a running FlightGear instance on the same
platform as the packets were generated (FreeBSD/i386). I managed to
'move' the aircraft by manually tweaking some bytes with the hex editor
and returning the captured packets to FlightGear on the same platform,
but it didn't work by feeding the same, "hand-selected" stream to
FlightGear neither on Linux/AMD64 nor on IRIX/N32.

Don't get me wrong: I don't intend to shoot you about inabilities of
this network protocol - well, I once was attepted to do so several
years earlier, but this is another story  ;-)  - but we might save
people valuable time if we make sure they don't get mislead.

Cheers,
        Martin.