On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 21:21 +0100, Roy Vegard Ovesen wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 16:42, John Denker wrote:
> > Uhhh, what has OSG got to do with it?  I don't see an OSG requirement
> > mentioned anywhere in the documentation.
> >
> > Do I need OSG on top of plib?  Or OSG instead of plib?  Is this optional,
> > or is it a new requirement?
>
> OSG on top of plib. We still use plib for some things (the gui and joystick I
> believe). If you use CVS HEAD then OSG is required. There was recently a fork
> in CVS to separate the plib-only and the plib OSG versions. I believe that
> the plib-only fork will eventually be abandoned and/or merged with the plib
> OSG version.
>

> > Suggestion (again):  Whatever the actual requirements are, they should be
> > documented, and they should be enforced by the  configure  script.
>
> Probably the most up-to-date documentation about Flightgear is located on the
> Wiki page. There's even a section about OSG:
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/flightgear_wiki/index.php?title=OpenSceneGraph
>

> > Debian etch offers an  libopenscenegraph-dev  package;  that's easy enough
> > to install.  But naive users would have a hard time guessing that it's
> > needed.
>
> Depends on the naiveness ;-)

I was naive enough to enstall the Debian version, but it's lacking the
patches to make it work with FlightGear, so I had to use apt to pull the
Debian sources[1], applied the FlightGear patch [2] file, and rebuilt it
with dpkg-build [3]...  See "APT HOWTO Chapter 6 - Working with source
packages" [4] for more details.

Ron

[1] apt-get source openscenegraph
[2]
ftp://ftp.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Misc_maf/OpenSceneGraph-20061114/OSG_OP_OT-1.2-Flightgear.diff
[3] dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
[4] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html