On 01/13/2007 11:53 AM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> John - can you tell me if I've got the gear animation approximately
> correct. From photographs I've guessed that they fold up rearwards.

Yes, it is approximately correct.

1) I observe that the two main gear retract at unequal rates;  this is
realistic.

2) If you want the next level of detail:  The current sim has the wheels
winding up in places very near the midline;  call it the 5:45 and 6:15
positions.

In the real aircraft, they wind up much farther outboard;  perhaps the
4:30 and 7:30 postions.   If you approximate the fuselage as a box,
they wind up at the /corners/ of the box.  There are wheel-sized black
empty holes visible there whenever the gear is not retracted.  There
are no gear doors for the main gear.

3) Another small point:  It appears that one gear doesn't fully
retract.  I haven't looked at the retract logic.  It would be a
mistake to stop when the first gear is up-and-locked;  the gear
motor must run until /all/ gear are up-and-locked.  The ones
that get there early just push against the stops for a while.

========

I note that
  -- some people take the animations seriously, but don't worry too
   much about the flight dynamics, and
  -- vice versa.

This is OK.  It's actually a good sign when the same product can
serve two market segments.