Hm, why do people think I'm trying to attack OpenOffice?!? I even use it
myself...

Martin Spott schrieb:
> Christian Mayer wrote:
>
>> By using OpenOffice as the typesetting system he shows that there isn't
>> an institution (e.g. the publisher) behind him that takes care of the
>> little things that are the difference between an amateur work and an
>> professional work (e.g. an editor, professional layout, perfect
>> typesetting...)
>
> Apparently you know very little about OpenOffice. OpenOffice has much
> more in common with 'professional' typesetting software like FrameMaker
> than you'd probably expect - and certainly more than the competing
> M$-products ....

I know OpenOffice at least good enough to use it on my own box for
writing letters... (for longer works I use LaTeX)

Typesetting isn't only abut the placement of pictures - it's also about
ligatures and kerning, to name a few. There you run into problems where
OpenOffice isn't there - yet. It took TeX years to get it right, but now
it's quite perfect.

> BUT, this is not the point. You can do excellent typesetting with
> OpenOffice and doing very bad typesetting with FrameMaker is easy  ;-)
> - it just depends on the skills of the respective user. Judging this
> book just by the software that was used to make it sounds really
> stupid.

If the program doesn't support the features needed for professional
typesetting even the skilled user can't do excellent typesetting.

BTW: I didn't judge to sample chapter on the tool. But after reading
some sentences (most sentences have very similar structure, there are
grammatical errors, ...) I did a judgement about the content. Then I
looked at the layout and typesetting which also didn't impress me.
Looking at the used tool *then* totally fit into the picture I already
had. (I've written exactly that in my first post about that subject)

> Indeed, this book was produced with a low buget, probably a budget that
> doesn't allow for an expensive 'toolchain', but on the other hand it
> has a pretty moderate price tag. So, what's wrong here ? A book that
> targets at FlightGear beginners doesn't necessarily have meet the level
> of O'Reilly "sendmail" ....

There's nothing wrong here - I've already written that before:

> All of this is no problem (I know lots of poorly written books) - except
> that this book pretends to be official.

CU,
Christian