On 1/31/07, Joacim Persson wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Tony Pelton wrote:

> and as a passing comment, i wonder if one of the train simulators
> might be a better train simulator that flightgear for your intended
> purpose ...

Or better still, a car simulator. (Assuming the mentioned train crossing
signs are to be viewed from the driving seats of moving cars.)

Perhaps the freeware racing simulator Torcs (www.torcs.org) could be
something for the psychology professor's experiment? Torcs uses plib, so
it
can load the same 3d fileformats FlightGear can, and also has physic
models
of road vehicles ready, and far better looking roads than FG.

I appreciate the suggestions, but FlightGear will be perfect for this
project. :-)

We only need a small area of land/road/track coverage ... just the approach
of a single road to a single railway crossing, plus some context and we have
a guy who can build all that for this project.

We need to carefully animate, and automate the train motion ... something I
can easily do in FlightGear, but it's unclear if that is possible in a
proprietary train sim.  I looked at torcs pretty closely a few years ago and
back then it was all about designing robot race cars that race themselves.
It didn't have the fine grained level of object control and sign animation
that we need for this project.

In addition, we need to create our own custom crossing approach signage and
animate it based on the train position.  Again, should be a breeze with
nasal and flightgear.

We can build all the models we need and get things done, I was just
wondering [originatlly] if anyone had any train models in the back pocket.
Of course Lee would have something. :-)  But I think we need to find/build
something that would be typically found on north american train tracks.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/