Am Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2007 20:13 schrieb John Denker:
> For a properly-slaved DG or HSI or similar instrument, we
> shouldn't be looking at /instrumentation/heading-indicator/*.
> That's wrong.
> However, it is also wrong to look at /orientation/*.
d'accord

> There is a third way, the correct way:
>    /instrumentation/heading-indicator-fg/
> especially
>    /instrumentation/heading-indicator-fg/indicated-heading-deg
sounds plausible though the HeadingIndicatorFG lacks some realism, too. It has
no way to fail the flux gate or manually switch from slave to free mode and
use a manual adjust.

> I believe the following patch suffices to bring the c182 and
> c182rg up to full performance.
>   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/hsi-etc.diff
As you said - this one needs patching of all aircraft that uses the hsi. It
should be thoroughly tested.

> One thing that I have *not* done but which might make sense
> as a migration strategy would be to create a  new hsi+.xml
> file in parallel with the old hsi.xml file, since there
> are about a dozen aircraft that depend on hsi.xml and would
> break if they were forced to switch from heading-indicator
> to heading-indicator-fg without proper preparation.  Then,
> once the preparation is made (such as providing proper power
> to the HSI), we can deprecate the old hsi.xml.
>
> Or does somebody have a better migration strategy?
Not me - maybe anyone else?