On 02/06/2007 03:47 PM, Tatsuhiro Nishioka wrote:

> I calculated the position of CG with the equation obtained at:
> http://www.paragonair.com/public/docs/FAA-Handbooks/8083-01_WnB/
> 8083-01_ch08.pdf
> According to this document, the distance from the nose to the CG is
> calculated as:
>
> CGoffset = D - (F*L) / W                [1] ????
 >
 > where D is the distance between the front wheel and the main wheel, F
 > is the weight of the front wheel,
 > L is the distance between the nose and the main wheel, and W is the
 > total weight of the aircraft.

That's a misquotation or misinterpretation of the relevant
formula, as you can easily see by considering the case
where F=0, i.e. all the weight on the main wheels, in which
case the center-of-mass is located at the main wheels.

In that case, equation [1] reduces to

     CGoffset = D                        [2] ????

or in my notation

   (Xs - Xc) =  (Xf - Xm)                [3] ????
or
   (Xs - Xc) =  (Xf - Xc)          (since Xc = Xm)

which will not be true except in some exceedingly unusual
special case.

Here the subscripts have the following meaning:
   s stands for spinner
   c stands for center-of-mass
   f stands for front wheel
   m stands for main wheels

For details, including some of the algebra worked out
correctly, see
   http://www.av8n.com/physics/cm-calc.htm