On 02/07/2007 09:47 AM, Ron Jensen wrote:
> While working on 3D cockpit instruments I keep hitting into issues with
> internal floating point representation and the <textranslate><step> tag.
>
> The <step> tag effectively truncates the property, 29.919999999999
> becomes 29.91, so a (3D) readout reads off one number.

> I am proposing an new tag, <bias>, that will act like <offset> but be
> applied before <step> and <scroll>

While the <bias> tag seems reasonable enough, the *first* step
should be to repair the <step> feature so that it performs
rounding rather than truncation.  This would greatly reduce
the number of situations where <bias> would be required.

It seems likely that this change to <step> would immediately
unbreak a goodly number of currently-broken instruments, and
unlikely that it would break any currently-working instruments.

Leaving <step> the way it is would create a long-lasting trap
for the unwary.

Let me put it the other way:  If there is any rationale for
having <step> truncate rather than round, would somebody please
explain what it is?