On 02/09/2007 09:34 PM, Ron Jensen wrote:

[250 lines of stuff we agree about]

> Except in your algorithm '0' can never be used as a scroll value.

Well, I fixed that just now.  New version:
   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/animation.diff

Anybody who wants to set <scroll>0</scroll> is now free to do
exactly that.  (There's more I could say about this, but it
suffices to say that the new version is an improvement.)

In most cases, a small positive scroll value is to be preferred to zero.
There are now three ways to obtain that:
  -- You can specify your own value.
  -- You can leave the scroll value unset, which triggers default behavior.
  -- You can set the scroll value to -1, which also triggers default behavior.

At the moment, the default is 1e-6 times the step size.  This is not
set in stone.

==============

To summarize:

1) We should keep apply_mod() around to handle mechanical drum displays

2) We should have a sprintf-like facility for the 3D digital instruments ...
  something at least as nice as the facility provided to the 2D instruments.

3) There are two separate arguments leading to the conclusion that it would
  be advantageous for the radios to use an integer kHz representation, not
  just a fractional MHz representation.

4) It would be kinda nice to make apply_mod() work for fractional digital
  displays, but in light of points (2) and (3), this is not really a
  step on the road from "here" to "where we want to be", so it is not
  worth a whole lot of effort.  The main effort should be spent on (2)
  and (3).