On 02/11/2007 11:29 PM, Dave Perry wrote:

> By the way, I agree that the current algorithm in altimeter.cxx is
> wrong.  This evening, I had time to look at your posted patch and I
> think it would give the right hi.

It is, for now, restricted to the troposphere (36000 feet and below).
Extending it would be straightforward ... but see remarks below.

>  It does require two calls to ln() and
> exp() (i.e. the pow function).  Have you thought of just using the C
> term in equation (15) and PA = pressure altitude which is already being
> computed.  That would only require one call to pow().  Or since
>
>     C = ( hi offset from PA)
>
> only varies with S, compute a replacement table for delta h in terms of
> S and interpolate that table.  Then current hi = PA + interp(S).

I considered that, but:

1) It's only a factor-of-two improvement, and

2) This code ought not exist at all.

It's hard for me to get excited about optimizing something that
needs to be thrown out and redesigned.

It does not make sense for altimeter.cxx to be implementing its
own model of the atmosphere;  instead it should be making a
structured call to some sort of atmosphere model module.  This
and related issues are discussed at
   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/README.altimetry.html

That document has more questions than answers;  if anybody has
answers please let us know.