Hello!

Martin Spott wrote:
> Actually, after Ralf already added _significant_ improvement to the
> TerraGear tools, I plan to set up some automatic batch-processing for
> the FlightGear Scenery - although currently I'm not sure how long it
> will take to 'aquire' the necessary recources  ;-)

To clarify what Martin is referring to: I have created two additional
TerraGear preprocessing tools, namely a GDAL-based chopper for DEM data
and an OGR-based vector data decoder. However, I'd like to test them
some more before submitting the patches, specifically as the
GDAL-chopper still introduces some artifacts in the scenery which I'm
currently tracking down.

The GDAL-based DEM-chopper can read all GDAL-supported raster formats.
This was necessary as we want to use preprocessed SRTM-data from
http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ which is available as GeoTIFF only. The
possibility to use any other GDAL-supported formats is merely a nice
by-product as I didn't want to write another GeoTIFF-reader and using an
external GeoTIFF-only-library when GDAL is available was somehow pointless.

The OGR-based decoder was inspired by Martin to ease processing for the
case when we will be building scenery on the same machine/network where
also the landcover/terrain database will reside. We can then directly
process the vector data from the database to TerraGear chopped polygons
and avoid the intermediate step via shapefiles. As a nice by-product the
OGR-decoder opens up a huge set of input formats without additional work
being required. At some point we might even want to drop the specific
shape- and TGVPF-decoders to reduce maintenance effort.

The patches are already in the SVN-trunk of fgfs-builder:

http://svn.qmx-systems.com/fgfsbuilder/trunk

I'll try to keep them current while I'm continuously fixing stuff.

> To my knowledge the intention is to let LinuxTag take place at this
> year's location, the "Berlin Expo Center under the Funkturm" for
> several years to follow.

Well, in that case, we have the chance to have our Berlin scenery grow
and getting improved step by step every year. ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf