On 02/25/2007 12:32 PM, Alex Perry wrote:

> There are three types of altimeter in common use: (1) Air data computers,
> which go to a lot of
> trouble to report the instantaneous value.

Right.

> Aircraft with such instruments should use the
> "environment" value,

Is that a typo?

I don't know of any "environment" variable relevant to altitude
other than /environment/pressure-inhg.  Using that bypasses the
lag associated with the /systems/static/pressure-inhg which
seems like a small and unimportant part of the overall air-data
task.  It also bypasses the /systems/static/serviceable check,
which seems like a bad idea.

There is no reason to have a long lag in the static system.  It's
unrealistic, as you can verify by /gently/ blowing a breath of
air /towards/ the static port while somebody observed the
airspeed indication.  The response time is very fast.

I did say gently, right?  I did say towards the static port,
so as not to make a tight seal, so as not to create very much
pressure, right?

Let's just get rid of the long static-system lag.

> (2) Basic barometric altimeters, which should have a long lag (second or so,
> in my experience).  Small aircraft manufactured before the 1970s tend to have
> these, I believe,
> and this behavior is modelled by the "systems" value,

I'm moderately happy to say I've never seen an altimeter with
such a long lag.

> (3) Corrected barometric altimeters, which
> have a relatively short lag that is just about observable by eye (therefore
> presumably around a
> tenth of a second) when operated in an IFR-like way.  Small aircraft of
> recent manufacture tend
> to have these, unless the aircraft is aerobatic. As far as I know, we don't
> have a model for this
> in FlightGear.
>
> Correcting altimeters contain a small accelerometer that detects the vertical
> component and,
> using a small bellows,

Really?  I know that's how an IVSI works, but I've never seen an
altimeter that did that, or needed to do that.  Do you have a
reference that gives information on that?  I get 29 hits from
   http://www.google.com/search?q=correcting-altimeter
only one of which seems even tangentially relevant.  Does it perhaps
go by another name?  Googling for "instanteous altimeter" is not
rewarding.

Compared to an altimeter, a VSI has a much harder problem.  An ordinary
VSI (not IVSI) has a verrry annoying time lag, comparable to a student
pilot's reaction time, and therefore more-or-less guaranteed to cause
confusion and PIO (pilot induced oscillations).