--- AJ MacLeod wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 00:35, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > I've started to overhaul Stuart's (excellent!) tutorial system.
> > See the Lightning's "startup tutorial" for a marker example.
> > It draws a nice blinking, magenta colored marker circle around
> > the switch that the user is supposed to press.  :-)

<snip>

> These tutorials can be a big help to people just starting out with FG,
> and are
> so much better than a dry description of processes.  I'm also certain
> that
> with a little imagination our (amazingly flexible) "tutorial" system can
> be
> abused a bit to add all sorts of other interesting functions and
> scenarios
> into FG ;-)

One scenario I thought might be quite fun to put together would be a
helicopter Search and Rescue. This led me to think of new features that
would make writing such a tutorial easier.

1) A "distance-to" function, that would evaluate to true when the user was
within a given distance to a point (expressed in lat/long). This would be
more useful than the current work-around that forces the tutorial writer
to define a box with given long/lat sides.

2) The ability to define objects in the scenery within a tutorial, e.g.
adding a downed aircraft/missing walker

3)The ability to trigger "select" animations on objects. This is possible
indirectly by writing to a property, but isn't ideal.

Of course, this is all stuff I should be adding myself, but I'm sure
Melchior could put together a much more elegant solution before I got as
far as recompiling FG with the latest CVS :)

-Stuart

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your
email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship.