Oops, you are right, that information was all in your original message, just
not in the quoted versions later.  Sorry about that.  It really looks like
it might be some sort of osg bug (or possibly our usage of osg?)  I've seen
a similar issue using open flight models in our commercial driving sim
software when the underlying textures aren't powers of two, but that doesn't
necessarily have anything to do with the FlightGear software.

I know our runway textures are sized in powers of two because I very
carefully did that way back when Erik and I were putting them all together.
Hopefully no one changed them in the meantime. :-)

Perhaps there is some rendering effect that certain aircraft use, or that is
used by some certain model near the affected airport that turns on, or
changes some sort of opengl state (texture translation?) and then we aren't
getting that turned off properly before rendering the next pass of the
scene.

I'm still completely lost in the world of OSG and how it does all it's state
management, but maybe someone with better OSG knowledge could take a peek at
some point.  State management bugs (if that is what this is) can be really
tough to track down though.

Curt.