On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 20:14 -0500, James Palmer wrote:
> Harald,
>
> You are correct, solution #1 does require the server to run all of the
> FDM for all players in multiplayer mode.
> However, I think you are incorrect about additions or adjustments to
> the FDM.  When using FG in single player mode, the player has both the
> client and server on the same machine.  The difference is that the UDP
> traffic never leaves the machine, and the local machine only has one
> instance of the FDM (therefore single player).  Feel free to add or
> tweak the FDM as you please.  If it is a sound change, I'm sure
> whoever is maintaining the multiplayer server will have a
> method/schedule to grab changes from the CVS if they so choose.

I believe you missed the point.  Many aircraft are not in the CVS for a
variety of reasons(1)(2)(3), and much developement work has been done on
aircraft while flying on the current multiplayer servers.

I personnaly loathe the concept that someone has to vet and install
every change I want to make to an aircraft I'm developing if I want to
fly it with/against other people.

I'm also concerned this seems to be a move away from everyone being on
one (or two) large multi-player networks (which makes syncing FDMs even
harder).   So no more watching others fly on mpmap software...

(1) http://www.jentronics.com/fgfs/
(2) http://home.comcast.net/~davidculp2/hangar/hangar.html
(3) http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/tux/index-en.html