> Martin Spott wrote:
> > "gh.robin" wrote:
> >
> >> With FlightGear-0.9.11-pre1  it is something strange
> >>         we have Flying Carriers.
> >
> > The carrier is correct - sea level is wrong  :-))
>
> Wait for the tide to come in.
>
> Jon

I presume this is to do with the fact that the sea is modelled as a few
huge flat polys whose surfaces have a significant "altitude" change
between the centres and the vertices.

AFAIK this has not changed since the very early days of FG, but since we
now all have graphics cards that are 2-3 orders of magnitude faster than
when FG started, is now the time to increase the number of polys in the
ocean? A reduction in the edge length of a factor of 3 would reduce the
surface height variation by a factor of ~3, and increase the poly count
in the ocean by a factor of 9, which I believe should be acceptable.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where so start poking around in the
codebase to do this though.

Richard