Stefan Seifert wrote:

Curtis Olson wrote:
I've discovered that I really love the AN-2 and the new "fly-by" view mode!
I've posted a youtube video of the FlightGear AN-2 landing at Ranger Creek,
WA (taken with a cheesy digital camera pointed at my computer screen ...):

But the jiggling and motion blur somehow adds to the realism of the
video. Maybe we should integrate them in FG ;)

Actually, I agree with that! I noticed the same thing and thought how much it added to the realism! Especially the last shot as the plane comes to a halt.

Curtis, you really ought to pump the tires on that AN-2. They looked totally flat to me :-)

Something I do notice though - if you do what Curtis did there and compose a video out of "fly-by" shots and nothing else, it gets *really* repetitive. Had a movie director shot that sequence with a real plane, he/she'd have intercut the fly-by shots with a few "out of the pilot's window" shots, a couple of closeups of the pilot's fact (OK, so we can't reasonably do that), and maybe some chase-plane shots.

It's too late to go fiddling with it in time for 0.9.11, but maybe an idea for the future might be to rework "fly-by" as an option to a sort-of "movie director" playback mode which would allow a much more convincing (and less repetitive) move to be made. The current system certainly shows the possibilities of such a thing, and we've got "out of the window" and "chase plane" options already. It's just putting them together that's missing.

Nice work by the "fly-by" author though.
BTW - What happens if you fly a plane directly over the "fly-by camera"?