Hi there!

Congratulations, Stuart, and I wish you many great flights and happy
landings!

Yes, it's one of the interesting things about flying microlight
(obviously independent of whether gravity- or
aerodynamically-controlled) that very short runways can suffice very
well where others get into trouble. That's one of the fun parts landing
in EDNY with a 2.4km runway ;-)

> Finally - Ralf - good luck with your test!

Hm, I should have posted at least a quick note ;-)

I already have passed my practical exam about one month ago but I just
didn't have the time yet to write about it. I will make up for that when
I come home from my conference at the end of the week.

I already have got my license since about 2 1/2 weeks and my certificate
for passenger flights (required in Germany to be allowed to take
passengers) since about 1 1/2 week. I also have been flying last week in
Croatia on a flying camp our club has established on the Istrian
west-coast in Vrsar.

However, to say the least, I probably don't tell the license owners here
something new when I say that flying without needing the agreement of
any instructor is a really great experience and at that also one you
need some time to get used to and to realize.

I also have started training for the national PPL (PPL-N), which in
Germany allows you to fly single-engine planes with MTOW up to 750kg at
day and within Germany. The club has a DA20 Katana for that, which costs
only slightly more in the hour than our microlights.

As owner of a license for aerodynamically controlled microlights in
Germany you need only 7 hours of practice (incl. 10 solo takeoffs and -
hopefully - landings), a theoretical exam and another practical exam til
you have the PPL-N.

With another 15 hours and another theoretical exam (IIRC no practical)
you can call yourself owner of a full-blown JAR PPL-A. So currently I am
21 hours, two theoretical and one practical exam away from being a
"real" SEP-pilot ;-)

However, going from a C42 to a Katana the only difference is the side
you hold the stick with, the blue lever and the tip brakes. Ah, yes, and
the speed. Aside from that it's just a little bit easier to fly ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf