Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Bechtold wrote:

> As a very first attempt to contribute to the flightgear source code, I
> have tried to write a patch that automatically sets a scenery model's
> elevation to ground level at the object's site if an elevation < 9999 is
> defined in the .stg file.

For some cases this is certainly a good idea. The Berlin Scenery for
example that we used for LinuxTag2007 has places where the elevation
differs from the standard Scenery - simply because this special Scenery
was created from more detailed data.
This difference results in some VOR and ILS antennas floating above the
ground - which looks a bit strange when you have to 'hop' over the
localizer at EDDI 27L before touchdown and which could be cured by your
approach  :-)

BUT, I'm sorry to say it, finally this doesn't work out for many,
_many_ (actually: most) Scenery objects because many 'generic' objects
are sunk into the ground intentionally.

The obstruction databases that are being used to place generic objects
into the scene define lots of scyscrapers and towers at different
heights. In order to avoid creating one generic object for every
possible height (note, we have more than 180k Scenery objects !) we use
just a couple of different generics which are then being sunk into the
ground to show up in the Scenery at correct height. In the Scenery
Objects Database the respective difference between the height of the
generic model and the height in real life (in the Scenery) is being
stored as an "elevation offset"

Now, don't discard your patches ....  Probably one day we have a
modified scenery format that allows us to carry this elevation offset.

Cheers,
        Martin.