Hello Sebastian!

Sebastian Bechtold wrote:
> Tim Moore wrote:
>> So, I don't mean to be discouraging because I think this is ultimately
>> the right approach in terms of bumping up terrain detail and
>> implementing terrain and texture LOD, but you have a lot of hacking
>> ahead of you.
>
> Then it should be so. I'd really like to help making FlightGear better,
> and of course I want to improve the things which, in my option, need it
> most.

Great to hear that you're so motivated. I hope it stays that way once
you have started! ;-)

> I have to admit that at the moment, I have not the slightest idea about any
> coordinates and stuff, but I'm willed to learn :).

Although I'm a bit skeptical about whether I like the concept at all or
not, there's no better way of finding out than trying. ;-)

I can assure you that I will provide support to you with everything I
learned about scenery design, file formats and coordinate systems in the
FlightGear world. I will not be able to assist you much in coding, and
specifically not in the area of 3D programming, but I will try to do my
very best to help you being successful in the areas I can help with.

Sebastian Bechtold wrote:
> The plan would be to include the raw (meaning not
> compiled/digested
> into the .btg files) vector data into a scenery file and auto-generate
> the textures using this data.

The .btg-file-format is not well extensible (and probably will not be
needed anymore anyway with your approach), so I wouldn't integrate this
data into the btg or stg files. You don't seem to be thinking about
something like that anyway, so this is merely a note from my side.

Cheers,
Ralf