On 7/17/07, Mike Schuh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Hans Fugal wrote:
>
> >The joystick I had with me is a Saitek Aviator (USB HID).
>
> Is this the "AV8R" model?  My Linux system identifies it as "Saitek AV8R
> Joystick" when it scans attached USB devices.
>
> >FlightGear doesn't have a file for this yet, but I have written my own
> >(which I am nearly ready to submit), and I put it in the appropriate place
> >in the data directory (Input/Joysticks/Saitek/Aviator.xml). This file
> >works fine in Linux and OS X.
>
> I also created one (on Linux) - shall we combine our efforts.?
>
> I put my version in Input/Joysticks/Saitek/AV8R.xml

Yes that's the one. Combining our efforts would be good. I called it
Aviator.xml in the same place, but the filename is pretty much
irrelevant.

> >I then installed the Saitek drivers for the joystick from their
> >website, and tried again with the same results.
>
> On Red Hat Linux (Fedora Core 6), it Just Worked...  :)

As in Ubuntu, OS X, and even Vista (worked the same before and after).
The Saitek drivers I think are mostly for specialized stuff like
"programming" the joystick with that mode button and so forth.