Hi Ron,
Robin van Steenbergen schrieb am 22.09.2007 02:14:
> No, my original issue was to make external instrumentation possible over
> the network, not on a single PC with 6 monitors on it.
I think this is already possible within flightgear now. The only missing
feature (if I remember correctly), is the switching off of the
3D-rendering of the surrounding, which is not necessary when rendering a
panel only. But this should not be a big problem at all. As a ugly hack
just use an empty scenery on the panel rendering machines.

> Distribute the
> computing power, allowing more processing power for the flight dynamics
> and visuals and a flexible instrument setup.
>
> Take a real simulator as an example: The flight dynamics are run from a
> system that does only that -- flight dynamics.
Same issue here, the rendering need to be switched off, but the machine
needs the scenery for scenery interaction. As a first step you can
reduce the visibilty of the surrounding to a minimum, minimize the
window and use no 3D-model of the aircraft.
> Pure math that is, and
> it's mostly done as a double redundant unit instead of a single one.
> My ultimate goal is to model a flight deck after the professional sims
> -- each part of the simulator is dedicated to a system. This adds both
> redundancy and flexibility -- if a system crashes, it doesn't take the
> entire simulator with it as is the case with FS2004 based setups. The
> data exchange doesn't stop, because it isn't tied to a single 'master'
> unit -- if one unit should cease to respond (function), the rest of the
> system is notified and possibly another unit or a hot standby might take
> over.
I think the redundant fdm on more than one machine is not supported by
flightgear. But I think, that the implementation of this feature is much
to much work compared with the result. Spending some time in a stable
hardware should be much easier. (If flightgear crashes on one machine
due to a software bug it will probably crash on the second machine, too.
But the community works on avoiding and fixing such bugs.)
> ... My proposal for the project would be to create a working framework for
> 2D instruments, suitable for cockpit builders. The system would be
> similar, if not identical in functionality, to X-Panel for X-Plane users

Wat's about programming an interface for X-Panel to flightgear?
> (I would like to give you a URL but some fool took down the X-Panel
> pages, every Google hit turns 404), which allows X-Plane instruments to
> be displayed on a different system (or multiple). As for glass cockpits
> go, an example is either OpenGC or Project Magenta, but both of these
> have the design of their displays hard-coded, what I would really like
> to see is that GC or steam panels could be designed in a WYSIWYG
> graphics environment, and interactive script added later. SVG has
> specifications for that.

The built-in interface in flightgear should be capable to fulfill all
your request.

Maik