John Denker

> Sent: 05 December 2007 16:43
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] control trim reset
>

> On 12/04/2007 11:26 PM, Syd&Sandy wrote:
> > Hi all , I've added the elevator, aileron and rudder trim to the
> > control-centering function - keypad  ( 5 ). Should this be added
> > before the release ? Or is there a particular reason that the trims
> > aren't reset ?
>
> There is _some_ merit to this idea, but it needs refinement;
> see below for details.
>
> > developed the habit of hitting the 5 key before releasing the brakes
>
> As Curt pointed out, simply zeroing the trims is a Bad Idea.
> In most airplanes -- simulated and real-life -- zeroing the
> trim is not the right answer.
>
> In the C182 for instance -- FG and RL -- you would be well
> advised to apply significantly nonzero elevator and rudder
> trim before takeoff.  A certain nonpilot on this list dismissed
> this as "probably not that much help" but every RL pilot I
> know does it anyway.
>
> The general problem of setting the trim to the "desired"
> value is ESP-complete;  that is, it requires reading the
> pilot's mind to ascertain his intentions.  As an extreme
> example of this, suppose I am buzzing along upside down in my
> Decathlon, trimmed for straight-and-level inverted flight.
> If I push "5" to center the primary flight controls, I definitely do
> not want the trim set to zero, nor set to the level-flight
> values.
>
> So, all evidence suggests that there is a need for a "5"
> command that does /not/ mess with the trim.
>
> You could *also* implement something that does set the
> trim automagically.  I know a simple way to do this, if
> anybody is interested.  However, I don't recommend it,
> because it is both unnecessary and unrealistic.
> This sort of automation appeals to people who drive cars,
> and expect to be able to jump in and drive away.  It is,
> alas, highly unrealistic in present-day general-aviation
> aircraft, where the pilot expects to spend quite a long time
> running the preflight checklists, including setting the trim.
>
> One problem is that many aircraft in the FG fleet lack
> usable trim-position indicators.  That is why the Sport
> Model contains a popup that provides the necessary
> information.  (The popup is only a workaround, it is
> not meant as a long-term replacement for a proper
> realistic trim-position indicator.)
>
>   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/README.sport.model
>   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/git-overview

I use t to autotrim the Buccaneer, and T to remove all trims when I get it
wrong and need to retrim. No need to touch 5 - it centres the controls,
that's enough (not that I use it very often). Autotrim is quite a handy
function. I don't think it's used much. It kind of simulates the way trim
can be used to remove stick pressure.

Vivian