I'm planning, and have tested the passing of the force in terms of magnitude
(pound force), azimuth (degrees, north = 0) and elevation (degrees,
horizontal = 0, up = 90). I hope this is what you need, and can work with.

> > It's trivial
> > really, but I'm assuming that the external force applies no
> rotational
> > force to the object.
> I think this could be easily faked. e.g. new_roll = old_roll +
> cos(old_roll) * force_in_y_direction * a_magic_constant * dt
> but i f I read the code correctly, yaw and hdg are pointing
> at the speed
> direction (slightly filtered)? Therefore we need something
> like _elevation = atan2(force_in_z_direction,force_in_x_direction)
> and then your filter to add some inertia?

Right now there are 2 options - 1, the ballistic object aligns with the
velocity vector (damped), or 2, it remains static. These options both work
with the new code. I think option 1 will do for an under slung load?

> > I haven't a great deal of time available in the run up to
> Christmas so
> > no promises on completion.
> >
> Same here. I will have very limited access to my computer (family
> visiting tour). Fortunately my computer is a notebook, but I
> am not sure
> if there is any space in the car for my joystick.

We have a horde of family visitors over the coming days - all competing for
my time and the computer. We'll see how much can be done (not a lot I
expect).

Vivian