On Sunday 30 December 2007 12:09:28 LeeE wrote:
> It's Interesting to see that they have less impact than billboards
> but I wonder if this means that there's a problem FG's billboards
> implementation - after all, a billboards are just single (split)
> poly objects, albeit ones that rotate to face the viewer.

I think it's the transparency in the texture that is the problem.

On a related note, the visual realism of Flightgear can be increased if
Bi-directional Reflectance Distribution Function (BRDF) can be incoporated
when applying textures to vegetation area, especially for area that are at
considerable distance from the camera.  Basically, this is to simulate the
reflectance and transmittance of a canopy when view at different angle, and
could give similar results to using million of tree models, without actually
using million of tree models.

Just an idea,
Ampere