Hi,

now i'm working on Approach Control (ATC). There is
some old, dead (not working) code in approach.cxx.
I made it working last week, but there are a lot of bugs.
So, maybe i'll rewrite this part of FG. And wanted
to disscuss about some new features and ideas.

In real life, pilots (and ATC) uses terminal procedures of
each airport when approaching or departing. Example for KSFO:
http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KSFO#terminalprocedures

What about adding real SID/STAR procedures to FG? This will
make flying and communicating with ATC in FG more realistic.

But there are three problems (as i understand this):

  1. Where to find the database of SID/STAR of *all* airports?

  2. Database will be large. So we will have another big file
     in FG distibutive, such as nav.dat.gz, awy.dat.gz, etc. This
     means that FG will get more time to start and will use more
     memory (?).

  3. Copyrights and law. Is it ok to use this type of data in FG?
     Won't we have law problems with other authors?

Ok, i tried to find some info about this. There's an interesting site
http://aviationtoolbox.org/ . It includes SID/STAR and lot of other
interesting information. But only USA. Maybe then we will find
other world ?

Here is some interesting data, dated December 2006 and January 2007:
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/

It's great that there are description of data formats and all
data is in plain text, so we can parse it very easy! And convert
to other formats we need.

But is it ok to use this data? And what about other problems
(such as big size, other countries and copyrights)?

Best,
Daniyar