I just found your FLIGHTGEAR Software package.  I marked it for install in
Ubuntu version 7.10, and then tried to get my E-SKY Model 66P02 USB Controller set up for control
of AILERONS, ELEVATOR, THROTTLE, and RUDDER.  I use this controller for R/C Programs
FMS and HeliSimRC under Win XP.  It has NO BUTTONS, just two Joysticks.
($19.99 from www.xheli.com)

I used js_demo to determe the joystick output:

Joystick test program.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joystick 0: "FS_SM020"
Joystick 1 not detected
Joystick 2 not detected
Joystick 3 not detected
Joystick 4 not detected
Joystick 5 not detected
Joystick 6 not detected
Joystick 7 not detected
+--------------------JS.0----------------------+
| Btns Ax:0 Ax:1 Ax:2 Ax:3 Ax:4                |
| 0000 +0.1 -0.0 +0.1 +0.0 +0.0   .    .    .  |

FS_SM020 Joystick Properties:  (I noted both the Joystick endpoints voltages)
 Axis 0    =  Aileron  Left +1.0 Right -.8
 Axis 1    =  Elevator  Up   +.9 Down  -.9
 Axis 2    =  Throttle  Fast -.8 Slow  +1.0
 Axis 3    =
 Axis 4    =  Rudder   Left +1.0  Right -1.0
 Button 0  =
 Button 1  =
 Button 2  =

After reading and searching I found that the program "FGJS" had been included to help
set up the joystick.  I ran that program, but that is where I stumbled onto my problem.

I ran fgjs and it SKIPPED the DEADBAND portion of the program and went directly into the Joystick selections.
After the Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, and Rudder Selections I was stuck since I couldn't PRESS a BUTTON that I don't have.

This leads me to the following two questions:

1. My Joystick was detected as Joystick 0 and did not do the DEADBAND Calibration.
    Why was the Deadband Calibration skipped?

2. When I had finished with Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, and Rudder, the next thing that needs to be set is the Mixture etc.,
but since I have no BUTTONS to PRESS, how do I SKIP the next several selections and end the program so it writes
out my file? It would be nice if "Y" or "ENTER" could be used to skip items and continue with the file build. I was stuck
and used CNTL C to exit.  ie. no correct file was built.....

Will one you you fine Developers/Debuggers take a look at these problems and let me know what you think?
I can't believe that I am the first to find these problems.  I have searched the mailing lists and didn't find the same
type of problems.
Is there an UPDATED Version of fgjs available for download that will function correctly on Ubuntu?

I am willing to test a new fgjs (for Ubuntu) as needed to get my file built, but I need it to be updated and compiled.

Thanks.

Larry