Hi,

Le samedi 23 février 2008 à 13:53 -0600, Curtis Olson a écrit :

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> If I look very close with both snow and rain, I can now see that the
> aircraft motion through the falling particles seems to be correct ...
> it's subtle and sometimes hard to see depending on the lighting and
> background color ... and subtle is probably good for these effects.
>
> I think what confused me was that even at flying speeds, there is
> still a downward elongation of the particles with rain which tricks my
> brain into thinking they are falling straight down.  If the streaking
> could be made opposite the direction of motion some how (???) I think
> that may make the visual effect more compelling.  I'm not sure if that
> makes any sense?
>
> But the overall effect of the snow and the rain is quite good.  Also,
> you work to tie this into the metar reports is also very nice.
> Question: is it possible to tune the amount of snow/rain?  Perhaps a
> future update would be to ease slowly into snow/rain rather than make
> an abrupt change (if that is possible to do.)

In fact, the METAR informations gives only the snow/rain quantity : low,
medium, high. You can read these informations
in /environment/metar/snow-norm or /environment/metar/rain-norm.

The values are "double" : 0, 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3.

But, I can simulate a smooth effect... to avoid an abrupt changement.

> I think if we could redo the draw order (or change the near clip
> plane?) so that precipitation doesn't appear to be inside the cockpit
> then I would be happy to see this new effect get committed to cvs, and
> we can work on refining some of the subtle perceptual details later.

I improve the conversion rain/snow (I don't use the dew point...)
I use only the temperature 0°C... it's easier and we don't need know the
real temperature when the rain turns off snow... Particulary, if the
temperature is between -1 and 1°C...

At first, I try to add a clip plane... Then we will be able to try on
refining this later...

> Best regards,
>
> Curt.

Thanks for your interest about my work...

Regards,

Nicolas