Hi all,

I've been doing some experimentation using the gps instrument for
navigation functions but I've hit a minor problem due to the gps
instrument update rate.

I'm running a nasal loop at 1/(frame-rate/2), which typically works
out to between 10-20 Hz, but because the gps update rate is much
slower (0.45 sec if I'm interpreting the code correctly) the
results aren't very smooth - the effect is that the results follow
a sawtooth pattern i.e. they ramp up while the gps output is
unchanged but then drop back down when the gps output is updated,
and then start to ramp up again.

Increasing the gps update rate to 0.1 sec in instrument_mgr helps to
smooth the output because each 'tooth' is smaller, with the result
that each ramp-up and drop-back is similarly reduced in size.

What I was wondering though, is what is the max update rate for
NAVSTAR gps receivers?

I dug out my Garmin e-trex manual, because I knew that had a battery
save mode that reduces the  update rate but it only says that the
unit will update once per second or 'continuously'.

After a bit of digging around on the web I found a discussion where
it was stated that "The theoretical limit is down to the
integration time for the receiver, typically 1-10ms" but the
practical limit turns out to be more down to the receiver's
processing power.

Does anyone else here know anything about this?

Ideally, I'd like to make the gps update rate configurable - can
anyone foresee any problems in doing this?

LeeE