BARANGER Emmanuel schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> After some tries on the Paris scenery and with nels' help on jabber,
> here are a few screenshots showing how much a textured ground
> dramatically improves Flightgear rendering.
>
> http://helijah.free.fr/ground/JPG-Version/
>
> Well, for now the method is just eavy as we have to make use of
> materials.xml. But still, isn't this a convaincing result ?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel,

first thank you very much for sharing this outstanding scenery work with us.

This is a really large area with fine textures and very, very exciting
to fly.
Together with all these placed objects it is breathtaking - but even
flyable with a helicopter who needs some higher frame-rates than a
fixed-wing aircraft.

This is also due to the fact that some heavy work has been done on
optimizing FG's object handling, what results in such nice performance
even on an medium-performace PC.

I spent a lot of time just flying around with a helicopter and looking
at the airports with all these nice detailed micro-scenarios on the
airports - and it will take me a lot of more hours to see all what is
there :-). What a lot of fun.

But back to your part of this work. I catched the
"modified-ground-texture-virus" and would like to make some tests for
the region I am living at. The XML-part ("ground-paris.xml") looks
pretty easy for me, allocating a reference in the materials.xml to each
of the pictures.

But what is something of a black-box for me is how you
changed/modified/built new the terrain reference - all these
Grd_XXXX.btg.gz.
Did you have to use the TerraGear program for that - what seems
insoluble for me. Or do you have another method which you can advice me?
If you could explain that to me I would be very glad - if not in English
I would be very happy to get it in French language as there are
possibilities to get it translated.
Thank you very much in advance for a little help and advice.

But anyway, if you can help or not, I am very very glad to have this
nice piece of scenery available and with that a lot of flightsim fun!
Merci beaucoup to you and Bertrand Augras.

Regards
Georg "HeliFlyer" EDDW