Hi Christian,

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 20:42, Christian Schmitt wrote:
> Hey Durk,
>
> Ralf just pointed me to you being the expert on AI/ATC and stuff like
> that, which is IMHO one of the most important things for a good user
> experience. :-)
> As you might know we are currently doing a lot of work on EDDF. One of
> the things I am doing right now is redesigning the AI-Network. AI Planes
> are starting and landing on two runways. The runway where they start is
> not a problem, but the landings are strange: The plane lands approx. in
> the middle of the runway length and brakes. Now, in real life I would
> suppose it to take the first taxiway available to leave the runway.
> Well, it doesn't. Instead it continues on the runway till it reaches the
> last possible exit, right at the end and takes it.
> Is this supposed to be normal behaviour?

This is currently normal behavior, but it is a limitation of the current code.
Currently, FlightGear finds the node that is nearest the beginning (takeoff)
of end (landing) of the runway, and creates a route from/to the parking
position using these two points.

We are moving towards a more sophisticated runway exit strategy: Last year at
LinuxTag, Thomas Foerster and I discussed the idea of adding a performance
database that could be used to determine stopping distances, and I'm
currently working on adding support for runway "entrance/exit" points.
Ideally, I'd want taxidraw to set these automatically, but this is still on
my TODO list.

Many of the bits and pieces are already in place, but the whole system needs
more integration. I hope to address these issues, as I'm moving forward with
integrating the AI / ATC code.

> Another question: Should I use a rwyuse.xml file? I have currently one
> in use, but I don't like AI planes always taking the same end of the
> runway for starting and not putting winds into consideration.

Using a rwyprefs file will give you some more control over runway assignments,
which might come in handy if you want to do more sophisticated stuff like
parallel takeoffs / landings, or assign separate runways for general
aviation / commercial and military traffic.

If you want the runway choice to be more determined by the wind, you could try
to play with the tailwind and crosswind parameters. In particular, setting
these to smaller values would allow the wind to have a bigger influence. I
realize that there isn't much documentation on the runway prefs file. have a
look at one for EHAM, which is the most compliated one I have. If you have
any questions regarding this file, please let me know and I'll try to hack
together some documentation.

Cheers,
Durk