Hi,

looking for why startup is so slow, I found at least three causes that
could be addressed :

1. FGAIAircraft class throws hundreds of FP_Inactive exceptions where a
simple boolean return value could have made the job ( the try/catch bloc
is in the calling code )
2. UpdateFunctor() / testNan in modelmgr.cxx also throws a lot of
sg_range_exception exceptions where again a simple test in the calling
function could have made the job,
3. The scenegraph is drawn again and again while the splash screen is
visible, slowing down the initialisation phase even more.

Exception throwing is very slow on some platform and should be reserved
to exceptional case.

Solving 1. and 2. is easy and I have a patch ready. But 3. needs a
little bit of search for me. Any advice from the scenegraph gurus ? I
guess a osg::Switch node could prevent the scenegraph to be
updated/culled/drawn while the scenery is loading and nothing but the
splash screen is visible.

Regards,
-Fred

--