Hi Stuart,

thank you for sharing this as I am especially interested in all scenery
which uses OSM data.

Last year I bought a cheap handheld GPS device and collected some local
data for OSM and uploaded them - but what a rapid development here
around Bremen until now, very very busy people improving the data every
day. Even forrests and rivers are represented in a very nice way in the
local dataset.
That is why I hope that in some years - regarding the poor man-power,
only 2 developers - we can use OSM data at good data-represented areas.

Stuart Buchanan schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> For my own amusement, I generated some scenery for Scotland using the GSHHS
> coastline and OpenStreetMap for roads. Scotland greatly benefits from using
> GSHHS coastline, as the VMAP0 data doesn't include many of the small islands
> on the west coast. There are sufficiently few roads that the OSM dataset
> works quite well also - you can even see some roundabouts!

Yes, saw them - and the difference between "normal" streets and
motorways (double lines). Moreover those streets are "smoother" than the
ones we have now.
> For those who might be interested in doing some flying in Scotland, it is
> available here:
>
> http://flightgear.mxchange.org/stuart/scotland.tar.gz (35MB)
>
> Many thanks to Roland Haeder for hosting it.

..
> The fact that I was able to generate scenery using TerraGear "for amusement"
> is a testament to the effort that the Custom Scenery team
> (http://www.custom-scenery.org/) have made to make TerraGear easier to use.
> Many thanks to Martin and Ralf for their work.
>
> -Stuart

Thanks a lot to all who are working for or supporting getting OSM data
(not only streets) into FlightGear.

Georg EDDW

(Beside this, simflying this scenery is a real joy as the landscape is
fascinating, especially the contrast between sea and mountaineous areas.
I hope you'll spend some more nice models for this area, the scenery
deserves it :-)  )