Hi All,

Here's just a quick heads up regarding some future plans. I've been planning
to work on a revamped traffic manager for quite some time now. Yesterday,
with a big thunderstorm rolling in, I figured I had a good excuse to stay
indoors and get some coding done.

So what is traffic manager II? Well the main difference is that it will become
a lot easier for users to develop their own traffic. Instead of going through
a complicated procedure of compiling a sequence of flights into an xml file,
the new version just requires a plain text file that specifies which aircraft
are available and which flights are required to be operated. Traffic manager
than automatically assigns flights to aircraft. In essence, the strict
one-to-one coupling of Aircraft and routes is no longer there, but determined
dynamically.

The biggest advantages of this approach are twofold: 1) Easier User
configurability, and 2) increased flexibility.  At this stage, I cannot tell
wether traffic manager II is going to be backward compatible with the
currently existing xml files. I hope to be able to do that.

I'm cross posting this message to both flightgear-devel and flightgear-users,
because I know there are quite a few flightgear-users subscribers working on
developing traffic plans. I will certainly take a few more weeks (maybe even
a few months) before this will be production ready. However, if you are
interested in the new format, feel free to drop you a note, and I'm happy to
make a concept of the new format available. Many thanks go out to Gabor Toth,
in this respect, for laying out the ground work for the new traffic format.

Cheers,
Durk