Hi

I just joined this list a few days ago. And haven't contributed a single
codeline to flightgear (yet). So its not my place to say what I'd like
best. But I'm possibly kind of the avarage maybe-contributor with svn
and cvs experience (later I have nightmares about), who has never heard
of git before and uses windows. I just want to share my first
impressions with msysGit, and the results of my binary-handing tests.

* Installation was trivial.
* Using the console commands works perfectly and there is lots of
tutorials and manuals for those around.
* The GUI is a bit odd. But using the graphical branch plot works and is
simple to use.
* It's not comparable with tortoise when it comes to usability, but it
gets the job done with acceptable effort.
* The speed is ok (tested with the data part of flightgear).
* msysGit converts LF/CRLF by default with is very convenient.

I did some tests regarding the handling of binary files. GIT seems to be
fully able to handle binary files. What you put into a repository you
get out identic (checked with md5). There is however a catch. If msysGit
converts LF->CRLF on checkout and CRLF->LF on checkin. It does this on
files its heuristic regards as textfiles. If this heuristic fails, its
possible that binaries get corrupted. The good news is that the
heuristic seems working well. It did not classify a single file in
fgdata wrong. The conversion can be disabled completely. Also its
possible to manually define text/binary on a per file basis, should the
heuristic ever fail for a file.

I must admit that I was sceptical first, beeing used to subversion for
years. But the desciptions (and torwalds talk) of distributed SCM make
me insterested in git. I really enjoyed the ease of branching and
merging despite the poor gui. This morning at work, using subversion
felt suddently much more clumsy, even with tortoise.

For new developers looking at fg, it's important to see that there is no
CVS in use (I almost walked away when saw it on the page). If git or svn
is not that relevant. It took me 10 min to get git installed and start
downloading from a remote repository. But it took 2+ days to get it
compile (to be honest, it still doesn't).

Stefan